Karolyne Newby, BCST
Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy Practitioner BCST
“Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy is a gentle yet profound non-invasive, hands-on treatment for the whole body. Performed on a massage table, the client is fully clothed and the touch is generally light and still. The treatment is focused on supporting the health of the whole being, especially the nervous system. This is the system that dictates all of the body’s functioning, constantly sending and receiving information.
Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapists understand how an optimally functioning healthy nervous system performs. We are trained for years on how to use acute perception skills to perceive subtle physiological changes. We also are aware of the energetic map that underlies one‘s basic health and symptomology. We believe that health is never lost no matter what the ailment. We use our ability to identify the parts of the nervous system that are not functioning optimally and our awareness of the “always available health” in the body to assist the system in bringing itself back into balance. This supports greater ease and helps the body decrease symptoms.”
Sessions can last anywhere from a half hour to an hour or an hour and a half depending on the therapist you are working with and your needs. During that time, the therapist will quietly, gently hold parts of your body, listening to the subtle rhythms and tracking changes in your system. In this process the therapist will listen for your body’s expression of the order of priorities for this particular session which will lead to your desired outcome. It is important to note that while a single session can have noticeable effects, it often takes multiple sessions to achieve the results you are seeking.
During the session, you may:
▪ Relax so deeply that you fall asleep
▪ Enter a quiet meditation-like state
▪ Feel as if you are dreaming while awake
▪ Experience memories or insights while on the table
▪ Enjoy a pleasant sense of warmth, softening, widening or floating
▪ At times, you may experience other kinds of sensationsas energy that has been held in the body is released. If this occurs, just stay present with your breath and bodily sensations and allow this energy to discharge. The session quite often involves a process of letting go of patterns that inhibit your health and vitality. Once these patterns begin to shift, the therapist may notice changes in your fluids, tissues, bones and potency. You may experience a sense of integration in your body, mind and spirit.
At the end of the session, you may:
▪ Feel relaxed, but also energized
▪ Find yourself breathing more fully and deeply
▪ Stand straighter and taller
▪ Feel more comfortable in your body
▪ You may be surprised to feel a new sense of peace and ease as you leave the office to return, renewed, to your life.
▪ Notice an improvement in your sleep patterns
No matter what your experience, your therapist will take some time with you after you are off the table to check in about how you are doing. This is a great opportunity to find words for your experience and reflect on how differently you feel after your session. The effects can also be felt even after you leave your session.
Take time in the next 2-3 days just to notice how you are in the world.
▪ What is the quality of your sleep that night?
▪ How is your digestion?
▪ How is your overall experience of life?
By paying attention to the lasting effects of this work you will be able to gauge what the on going use of this work might offer you